You must correct the following errors to continue:
In accordance with HRS Section 463-10.5 (Act 208 (SLH 2010), effective July 1, 2013, all guards, and all agents, operatives, and assistants employed by a guard agency, private business entity, or government agency who act in a guard capacity shall apply to register with the Board of Private Detectives and Guards, and meet the following registration, instruction, and training requirements prior to acting as a guard:
- Be not less than eighteen (18) years of age;
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Not be presently suffering from any psychiatric or psychological disorder which is directly related and detrimental to a person’s performance in the profession; and
- Not have been convicted in any jurisdiction of a crime which reflects unfavorably on the fitness of the individual to act as a guard, unless the conviction has been annulled or expunged by court order; provided that the individual shall submit to a national criminal history record check as authorized by federal law, including but not limited to the Private Security Officer Employment Authorization Act of 2004, and specified in the rules of the Board.
For more information on the registration process with the Board call the Licensing Branch of the Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs (DCCA) at 586-3000 or visit: http://dcca.hawaii.gov/pvl/boards/private/
Effective June 30, 2014, registered guards are required to obtain at least four (4) hours of continuing education prior to each renewal. These four hours are required to be obtained in the classroom.
Topics to be covered include:
- Professional image and aloha training;
- Active shooter;
- Workplace violence;
- Fire safety;
- Blood borne pathogen exposure awareness;
- Professional ethics; and
- Civil liability
All classes are via Zoom. You will need a device with video and audio. Both Kauai CC and Hawaii CC are offering the same curriculum to meet the DCCA requirements.