Course DescriptionHawaiians conveyed "ho`okipa" or "hospitality" towards people they knew, as well as visitors to their communities and to the islands. Ho`okipa Me Ke Aloha, a culture-rich learning experience based on Hawaiian language and culture, is designed for participants to develop an appreciation for our host culture and traditions while servicing visitors from around the globe. From learning about the Ahupua`a land management concept to the roles and responsibilities within an `Ohana, you will cultivate your fundamental knowledge of Hawaiian history, culture, values and language, as well as learn to exemplify "Hospitality with Aloha".
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the significance and values of several Hawaiian cultural "anchors".
- Identify the basic elements of Hawaiian language and culture which could be applied to a global workplace.
- Recognize their personal and organizational contribution to teamwork, collaboration and cooperation.
- Identify Hawaiian values and explain their importance in serving the customer.
Employment Training Funds available: http://labor.hawaii.gov.wdd/home/employers/etf/micro
This course is recommended for the following programs:
- Certification for Hawaii's Professional Tour Guides
- Certificate for Customer Service in Hawai‘i
- Career Success in Hawaii's Service Industries
If you are a student with a documented disability and have not voluntarily disclosed the nature of your disability so that we may coordinate the accommodations you need, you are invited to contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in `Ilima 107, ph.734-9552 , or email email@example.com for assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center in Manono 111C, ph. 734-9210 (V) or 447-1379 (videophone).
Please note: you will need to contact Kapi‘olani CC's DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a Kapi‘olani CC course even if you've already registered or receiving services at another UH campuses disability support program.