Lucky we live Hawai‘i! Many of us welcome friends, family, colleagues and visitors from all over the world to our island paradise. But, how much do we really know about our Hawai‘i and our host culture? During this course you will learn about Hawaii's history, language, culture and traditions. While the learning never stops, you'll further appreciate and share stories of Hawai‘i in ways that help to perpetuate the beauty and uniqueness of our host culture and islands.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Correctly pronounce frequently used words and phrases in the Hawaiian language.
- Explain the significance of language and names to Hawaiian culture
- Understand the migration patterns within Polynesia and its effect on Hawai'i
- Identify the major geographic features of the Hawaiian Islands, traditional land divisions, and other prominent features both natural and man-made
- Outline the foundations of Hawaiian culture, including values, creation chants, stories of origin, and societal structures
- Accurately describe major events in Hawaiian history and their subsequent impacts on Hawaiian culture
Employment Training Funds available: http://labor.hawaii.gov/wdd/home/employers/etf/micro/
This course is recommended for the following programs:
- Certificate for Hawaii's Professional Tour Guides
- Certificate for Customer Service in Hawai‘i
- Career Success in Hawaii's Service Industries