Course DescriptionThis course studies the professional management of housekeeping operations. Taught by KapCC's Hospitality and Tourism department faculty, you will learn practical application for daily operations, as well as management skills required to ensure quality service and effective performance. This course allows you to achieve the American Hotel and Lodging Association certification after successful completion of the course and exam. This certification is well recognized in the hospitality industry.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Identify and critique the responsibilities and functions of housekeeping operations and analyze the importance of inter/intra departmental relationships and Hawaiian/host culture values.
- Develop and demonstrate safe, effective and sustainable practices related to various housekeeping tasks and operational responsibilities.
- Analyze the management functions of housekeeping operations including planning, organizing, staffing, controlling and evaluating techniques required to ensure quality service, efficient productivity and effective performance.
If you are a student with a documented disability please contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in ‘Ilima 107, ph.734-9552, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center at ph. 734-9210 (V), 447-1379 (videophone), or email email@example.com. Please note: you will need to contact Kapi’olani CC’s DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a KapCC course even if you’ve already registered or are receiving services at another UH campus’s disability support program.
100% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 10 business days or more prior to start of course.
50% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 5-9 business days prior to start of course.
0% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made less than 5 business days prior to start of course.
Consent of instructor.
This program includes live online sessions. We will use Zoom (online conferencing software) to hold discussions and practice hands-on skills. To attend the live online sessions in Zoom, the following equipment is recommended:
- Access to more recent model desktop or laptop, either Windows or Mac or Android or Apple mobile device
- Supported Operating Systems for desktop and laptop: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later, Windows 10 or Windows 8 or 8.1 OR Supported Operating Systems for mobile devices: iOS 7.0 or later, iPad OS 13 or later, Android 4.0x or later, Kindle Fire HD
- Reliable high-speed (cable or DSL) internet connection
- Internet browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or Safari
- Recommended: webcam, headset with microphone, if your device does not already have a webcam and microphone
- Knowledge of global geography, politics and economies.
- Effective verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills with respect to similarities and differences within cultures and languages.
- Knowledge and application of global business etiquette and protocol.
- Awareness of social and business trends.
- Awareness of current news and events that may impact global business and economies.