Surgical Technology program prepares graduates to assist the surgeon in the operating room. Students learn to prepare the operating room equipment and instruments, assist the patient before, during, and after surgery, and pass the instruments to the surgeon during procedures.
Upon graduation, the Surgical Technology student will be able to:
- Apply background knowledge of the basic sciences, surgical anatomy and aseptic technique in surgical procedures.
- Describe operating room techniques and their relation to patient care.
- Practice good personal hygiene habits and state their effect in reducing infection.
- Describe the interdepartmental relationships between the operating room and other hospital services.
- Identify the need for adhering to hospital policies and procedures, ethics, and medical, moral and legal codes.
- Demonstrate a rigid surgical conscience when functioning as a member of the surgical team.
- Apply, and when necessary, modify aseptic principles when encountering unexpected emergency situations.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of entry level procedures in order to function as a member of the surgical team.
- Demonstrate awareness of the responsibilities and limitations of the role of the Surgical Technologist and work within these limits.
- Demonstrate responsible behavior as a healthcare professional.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the role of the first scrub on entry level surgical procedures.
- Successfully pass the National Certification Exam given the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Liability insurance of $15 MUST be purchased when paying for phase 1 of the Surgical Technology program. This is non-refundable.
Students are carefully selected into this program. A list of approved students will be provided to Registration Office to allow those students to register and pay. Include one-time liability insurance of $15. Total hours may not match with days listed as clinic hours vary each week and with each site. Students will be allowed 100% refund up till the start date of class (less the non-refundable liability insurance). Final grades for each module is usually determined by last day of previous module.