Course DescriptionThis course covers proper patient communication, socio-cultural issues and values affecting massage, professional behavior, current laws and regulations, and ethics and liability. In addition, students are introduced to proper session documentation and billing, as well as basic business practice principles.
- Explain and identify the rules, regulations, and sanitation guidelines in accordance with the Board of Massage and the Hawaii State Department of Health.
- Discuss the importance of HIPAA especially as it applies to client/patient information and privacy.
- Demonstrate and practice the rules for professional practitioners with regard to professionalism and be able to differentiate ethical and unethical behavior.
- Describe and illustrate examples of effective SOAP charting.
- Examine all aspects of starting a business, discuss various business opportunities that are available, and recognize the importance of self-care for the massage therapist.
If you are a student with a documented disability and have not voluntarily disclosed the nature of your disability so that we may coordinate the accommodations you need, you are invited to contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in `Ilima 107, ph.734-9552 , or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center in Manono 111C, ph. 734-9210 (V) or 447-1379 (videophone).
Please note: you will need to contact Kapi‘olani CC's DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a Kapi‘olani CC course even if you've already registered or receiving services at another UH campuses disability support program.
Kapi‘olani Community College Refund/Drop Policy:
100% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 10 business days or more prior to start date of course.
50% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 5-9 business days prior to start date of course.
0% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made less than 5 business days prior to start date of