Course DescriptionTai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (TCAFP) is an evidence-based program that is supported by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) targeting seniors to improve balance. In addition, TCAFP promotes relaxation, flexibility, and strength. The Hawaii Dept. of Health (DOH) is a co-sponsor of the TCAFP workshop (w/ Tai Chi for Health Institute), the DOH promotes the TCAFP classes island wide as part of their fall prevention program. As part of a commitment to the DOH, KCC will non-credit Tai Chi that will prepare students with no background in Tai Chi to practice and become familiar with the warm-up, first 6 movements and the Cool Down segments of TCAFP.
After demonstration and repeated practice, students will be able to:
- Perform the first 6 positions sequentially, with a minimum of instruction
- Demonstrate an overall improvement in balance
- Priority will be given to seniors and individuals with compromised balance.
- Participants must wear loose, comfortable clothing, socks, and flat soled shoes.
- This is an activity class with the purpose of preventing falls.
- Participation is expected for the duration of the class and a balance re-assessment will be completed at the end of the class. Full participation is expected and encouraged in order to see the full benefits of TCAFP.
If you are a student with a documented disability and have not voluntarily disclosed the nature of your disability so that we may coordinate the accommodations you need, you are invited to contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in ‘Ilima 107, ph.734-9552, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center at ph. 734-9210 (V), 447-1379 (videophone), or email email@example.com.
Please note: you will need to contact Kapi’olani CC’s DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a Kapi’olani CC course even if you’ve already registered or are receiving services at another UH campus’s disability support program.
Kapi‘olani Community College Refund/Drop Policy:
100% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 10 business days or more prior to start date of course.
50% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 5-9 business days prior to start date of course.
0% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made less than 5 business days prior to start date of