Course DescriptionTai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (TCAFP) is an evidence-based program that is supported by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) targeting seniors to improve balance. In addition, TCAFP promotes relaxation, flexibility, and strength. The Hawaii Dept. of Health (DOH) is a co-sponsor of the TCAFP workshop (w/ Tai Chi for Health Institute), the DOH promotes the TCAFP classes island wide as part of their fall prevention program. As part of a commitment to the DOH, KCC will non-credit Tai Chi that will prepare students with no background in Tai Chi to practice and become familiar with the warm-up, first 6 movements and the Cool Down segments of TCAFP.
After demonstration and repeated practice, students will be able to:
- Perform the first 6 positions sequentially, with a minimum of instruction
- Demonstrate an overall improvement in balance
- Priority will be given to seniors and individuals with compromised balance.
- Participants must wear loose, comfortable clothing, socks, and flat soled shoes.
- This is an activity class with the purpose of preventing falls.
- Participation is expected for the duration of the class and a balance re-assessment will be completed at the end of the class. Full participation is expected and encouraged in order to see the full benefits of TCAFP.