A special discounted fee is available for service industry employees due to our partnership with the Hawaii Tourism Authority. Please contact Shirley Tsukano at 734-9701 or email@example.com for information and assistance with registration.
Servicing customers with Aloha…providing ho‘okipa, or hospitality, was second nature to ancient Hawaiians. Although customer needs continue to evolve, providing ho‘okipa is what makes Hawaii unique. While striving to provide Hawaiian hospitality, we are challenged to exceed customer expectations as “Ambassadors of Aloha”. The Certificate for Customer Service in Hawai`i training program is designed for employees in service-related industries. The foundation of the program is based on the Hawaiian culture and it is focused on developing practical skills that help to provide memorable service experiences for customers.
"This program also serves as the training pathway and exam preparation for the Certification for Hawaii’s Professional Tour Guides.***Scroll down to view certification exam requirements under “Notes” section."
This program includes live online sessions (refer to program outline for dates and times). We will use Zoom (online conferencing software) to hold discussions and practice hands-on skills. To attend the live online sessions in Zoom, the following equipment is recommended:
- Access to a more recent model desktop or laptop, either Windows or Mac or Android or Apple mobile device
- Supported Operating Systems for desktop and laptop: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later, Windows 10 or Windows 8 or 8.1 OR Supported Operating Systems for mobile devices: iOS 7.0 or later, iPad OS 13 or later, Android 4.0x or later, Kindle Fire HD
- Reliable high-speed (cable or DSL) Internet connection
- Internet browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or Safari
- Recommended: webcam, headset with microphone, if your device does not already have a webcam and microphone
Employment Training Funds are available: http://labor.hawaii.gov/wdd/home/employers/etf/micro/
Required Training Pathway and Courses:
- Introduction to the Hawai‘i Visitor Industry (2 hours)
- Servicing the Global Customer (6 hours)
- Ho‘okipa Me Ke Aloha (8 hours)
- Foundations of Hawai‘i: History, Language and Culture (8 hours)
- Communicate with Impact: Talking Story about Hawai‘i (4 hours)
- Know Your Islands (8 hours)
By the end of the course, learners will be able to use the knowledge gained to:
1. Apply professional standards for “Ambassadors of Aloha” to jobs in all sectors of Hawaii’s visitor and service industries.
2. Apply professional standards when managing customer service situations.
3. Incorporate the service principles of "Hospitality with Aloha" in your role as professional "Ambassadors of Hawai‘i".
4. Respond appropriately to a diverse customer audience.
5. Provide memorable customer service experiences based on guest preferences and requests.
6. Share information about Hawaii’s history, language, culture, and islands with authenticity.
Certificate Eligibility Requirements
A Certificate of Professional Development will be granted to learners who successfully complete all the requirements for the listed courses in this program:
- Learners must complete the entire training program (by attending at least 80% of the classes).
- Complete the capstone project by the established due date.
- Achieve at least a 75% score on the capstone project.
If you are a student with a documented disability and have not voluntarily disclosed the nature of your disability so that we may coordinate the accommodations you need, you are invited to contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in ‘Ilima 107, ph.734-9552, or email firstname.lastname@example.org assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center at ph. 734-9210 (V), 447-1379 (videophone), or email email@example.com.
Please note: you will need to contact Kapi’olani CC’s DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a Kapi’olani CC course even if you’ve already registered or are receiving services at another UH campus’s disability support program.
Preparing for the Tour Guide Certification Exam:
Eligible candidates may choose to prepare for the exam in several ways: