Course DescriptionNo Course description provided.
- Personal Career Planning & Management (4 hours)
- Foundations of Communication (12 hours)
- Communicating & Collaborating with Others (10 hours)
- Servicing the Global Customer (6 hours)
- Professionalism in the Workplace (4 hours)
- Creative Presentations for a Diverse Audience (2 hours)
- Preparation for capstone Project & presentation (2 hours)
- Capstone project and presentation, graduation (2 hours)
Module 1 - Participants will be able to:
- Create a resume and cover letter for a desired career/job.
- Complete a S.M.A.R.T. goal and action plan
Module 2 - Participants will be able to:
- Recognize their level of communication apprehension in personal, public and group situations.
- Identify verbal and non-verbal factors that impact behavior, communication styles and business operations.
- Identify and demonstrate effective listening skills.
- Identify and effectively use appropriate and effective etiquette when communicating in emails, phone calls and face-to-face communication.
- Identify necessary skills to improve intercultural and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Feel more confident when communicating with others in different situations.
Module 3 - Participants will be able to:
- Identify personal behaviors and how they affect others in group situations
- Identify characteristics that distinguish groups and teams.
- Take steps to create a work environment that promotes communication.
- Select the appropriate method to make decisions in groups.
- Identify ways to manage conflict.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when working with a diverse group.
Module 4 - Participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate cultural awareness in servicing diverse customers from other cultures.
- Anticipate needs to provide exemplary service to both internal and external customers.
- Align modern day customer service components to ho?okipa cultural practices.
- Apply “ho?okipa” in the service industry.
- Resolve conflicts and solve problems while dealing with service.
Module 5 - Participants will be able to:
- Visit an organization to observe firsthand “professionalism” in action.
- Identity important aspects of professionalism in the workplace.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional manners and conduct in a global business environment.
- Demonstrate appropriate personal presentation (including personal hygiene and dress) for the workplace.
Module 6 - Participants will be able to:
- Prepare an audience analysis to determine specific needs.
- Organize and prepare talking points for a presentation for a selected audience.
- Select information to support and clarify ideas in a presentation.
- Design and prepare visual aids that will help your audience better understand a concept or idea.
- Effectively deliver a presentation using nonverbal and vocal skills.
Module 7 - Participants will be able to:
- Prepare their capstone projects and presentations.
- Practice their presentations.
Module 8 - Participants will be able to:
- Deliver their presentations to a group of employers.
- Meet and converse with employers.
If you are a student with a documented disability and have not voluntarily disclosed the nature of your disability so that we may coordinate the accommodations you need, you are invited to contact the Disability Support Services Office (DSSO) in ‘Ilima 107, ph.734-9552, or email email@example.com for assistance. For students whose primary disability is Deaf or hard of hearing, contact the KCC Deaf Center at ph. 734-9210 (V), 447-1379 (videophone), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: you will need to contact Kapi’olani CC’s DSSO or Deaf Center to request accommodations in a Kapi’olani CC course even if you’ve already registered or are receiving services at another UH campus’s disability support program.
Kapi‘olani Community College Refund/Drop Policy:
100% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 10 business days or more prior to start date of course.
50% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made 5-9 business days prior to start date of course.
0% refund: Notification to Non-Credit Registration made less than 5 business days prior to start date of course.