The Qualified Boat Crew (Lecture) course will prepare you for work as a crew member on commercial power and sailing vessels in Hawai’i, and will provide you with a foundation for seeking a commercial Captain's license. The course will also provide you with knowledge in basic seamanship, boating terminology, theory and safety practices and includes an introduction to Hawaiian culture, ecology and hospitality as it relates to commercial boating. Requirements: FIT 8120: Safe Boating in Hawaiian Waters or equivalent, minimum age for enrollment is 18 years old.
Learner OutcomesStudent Learning Outcomes:
1. Define and apply boating terms, identify the parts and describe the functions of equipment on power and sailing vessels.
2. Describe the requirements and demonstrate the use of safety equipment aboard power and sailing vessels.
3. Define and apply basic to intermediate level concepts related to sailing and seamanship.
4. Define and apply Hawai’i State and U.S. Federal laws pertaining to the use of drugs and alcohol, vessel navigation, waste disposal, emergency response and responsibilities to other vessels.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of Hawai’i culture, ecology and hospitality as it relates to the marine industry.