Before taking the CDL road test, driver trainees will now have to successfully complete a specific program of theory and behind-the-wheel instruction provided by a school or other entity on FMCSA's new Training Provider Registry (TPR).
OCEWD’s Commercial Driving Training Program has been approved by FMCSA to be on the approved list of Training providers. This means that the curriculum, vehicles, facilities, instructors, and adherence to state regulations meet the stringent requirements required by the new Entry Level Driver Training Rule that takes effect on February 7, 2022.
This course prepares learners for the State of Hawaii Commercial Driver (CDL Class A) license test. Strong emphasis is placed on the Commercial Driving Manual, Virage VS 600 CDL simulator, Class A Vehicle Inspection, parking skills, and safe operation in preparation for the tests required to obtain your CDL Class A license which include the:
- Air Brake Test
- Vehicle Inspection Test
- Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test
- On-Road Driving Test
ADDITIONAL ON-LINE TRAINING: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires entry-level driver training to cover all topics in the Class A “theory-based curriculum” consisting of these modules:
- Basic Orientation
- Safe Operating Procedures
- Advanced Operating Practices
- Vehicle Systems and Reporting
- Non-Driving Activities
Students will be required to complete the modules and pass all the module quizzes with an overall competency of 80%. This on-line portion of the course is self-paced and the student will be required to achieve the 80% competency in this module and all the other “Behind the Wheel” modules of the course within the 95 hour course schedule time allotment. If this is achieved the student will be scheduled for the road test at the CDL examination center.
Course OutlineCourse prepares students with skills for the Commercial Drivers License Class A & B. Instructions include training on the CDL simulator, pre-trip inspection skills, on campus driving and parking practices, on the road driving and safety skills, and post-trip assessment.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Successfully complete the Theory Based On-line curriculum.
- Successfully complete a Class A Vehicle Inspection Test
- Successfully demonstrate an air brake test
- Demonstrate “Basic Vehicle Control Skills” which include:
- Straight line backing
- Offset back/right
- Offset back/left
- Parallel park (driver side)
- Parallel park (conventional)
- Alley dock
- Demonstrate safe and responsible road skills in a variety of traffic situations
For information or assistance on:
- On-line registration or general registration and payment call 455-0477 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial assistance, program advising, or attending an information session, please complete the online inquiry form and an advisor will contact you.
- For possible tuition assistance, please visit www.ocewd.org/hcp to learn more about the Hana Career Pathways grant program.
- Click here to learn more about financial assistance and student support resources.
- For CDL curriculum or Custom / Corporate training questions, please contact:
Workforce Development - Professor & Program Coordinator
1. Completed Leeward CC Urinalysis Consent Form.
2. Controlled Substances Test Results by Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii.
3. State of Hawaii CDL Type A License Permit.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate of Professional Development - CDL : Commercial Motor Vehicle Training w/out Permit Prep