This is an 8-hour (HST) online course.
Learn about local ocean safety principles and practices--including historical, cultural, and customary practices of Hawaii’s ocean users, and rules regarding protected species and thrill craft operation in Hawaii. Effective January 2005 all recreational thrill craft (personal watercraft) operators in Hawaii must complete this certification class on the safe use and operation of a thrill craft.
This online course utilizes the Canvas learning management system to deliver course materials. Class will meet via video conferencing using Zoom.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of NASBLA–approved Safe Boating course and proof of certification
• Active email address per participant (no sharing)
• Computer, Tablet (iPad, Galaxy, etc.) or Smartphone
• Access to high speed internet (min. 512k)
• Device with camera, microphone & speaker for video conferencing
• Most recent updated browsers
• Zoom app
Verify your mariner credentials with the Division of Boater and Ocean Recreation (DOBOR).
Learner OutcomesStudent Learning Outcomes Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
1. Communicate an understanding of the history and development of personal watercraft (PWC) sports and activities.
2. List water safety skills and knowledge.
3. Identify national and state rules regarding safe vessel operations.
4. Understand equipment design, function and maintenance of personal water crafts.
5. Describe the customary practices and sports etiquette as they relate to PWC sports and activities.
6. Identify environmental and cultural issues as they relate to PWC sports and activities.
BEFORE REGISTERING FOR THIS CLASS.
Please present certification of NASBLA & State approved Safe Boating in Hawaiian Waters or equivalent course.
For assistance call (808) 235-7433. email@example.com.I understand that I must complete a Hawaii DLNR-approved Safe Boating course (see question 11 for a list of approved courses: http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dobor/mandatory-boating-safety-education-qa/) or possess a USCG mariner credential prior to taking this class.